Making Soap

 Friday, October 9, 2009

Today I unveiled my first self-made soap and I must say I am pleasantly surprised. The entire process was so much easier than what I had imagined especially after reading book after book, articles and internet sites including watching videos on youtube about the cold-process soap making. What initially scared me was handling the lye as every book, article, and internet site warned of the danger that can be involved. However, prepared not only with a ton of knowledge but also with an outfit similar to a deep-sea diver, I felt daring enough to start the experiment. I put on my googles, gloves, had on a long sleeve shirt and an apron in case I spill some lye, and had my kitchen prepped so that all areas that were exposed and even remotely exposed to the soap-making process were covered with paper and towels. I felt safe and got to work.
First I measured the lye, then the distilled water, and next, I poured the lye into the water. Since the lye-water heated up to over 200 degrees, it took several hours to let it cool down to almost 80 degrees. I instantly realized that making soap from scratch includes a lot of patience because I had to wait almost 5 hours until the lye cooled down to the desired temperature. Next time, I will prepare the lye the day before so that I eliminate the waiting period. A note on safety though, if you have children or pets, keep the lye-water mixture out of reach and clearly label the content!!!
After the lye cooled down, it was time to heat up the oils until it reached the same temperature as the lye. Finally both lye and oils had the same temperature and I could begin combining both with a stick blender. Instead of mixing the soap mixture by hand, I had seen on youtube that a stick blender works just as well if not even better. So I poured the lye into the oil mixture and started mixing until tracing began. Initially I had no idea what tracing looks like. Sure I read all about it but then seeing and experiencing it for myself was yet another matter. I think I mixed a bit too long, I had to make sure about the tracing, so in the end, the mixture looked somewhat like vanilla pudding. I quickly mixed my essential oils into the soap and poured the mixture into the prepared soapbox. I scraped off the sides off the pot... ooopss, too late. I later read that one should not do that... oh well... Then I covered the box, covered it with a blanket, and left it alone for 48 hours.
After 2 days of waiting, I put on my "diving outfit" again and headed back into the kitchen to check on the soap. The googles and gloves are a safety precaution because the lye in the soap is still reactive after 48 hours. So I took the soap out of the box and my initial thought was, "hm, looks like a huge bar of cheese" but it smelled wonderfully due to the essential oils. I cut off the top layer, the layer that was from the scraped out sides of the pot. I am still a bit unsure why one should not scrape the sides of the pot but I can imagine that it must have something to do with the lye and that there may be too many traces that have not mixed with the oil. After the top layer was gone, I cut the soap in bars and tiny pieces that I want to give out as samples. After that, I put the bars and pieces into a brown paper bag to dry for about 4 weeks. The paper bag served as my "dry and dark place." That meant 4 weeks of waiting to find out if the soap is usable or not.
So today was the day I used the soap for the first time and like I said, I am pleasantly surprised. The coconut oil in the soap contributes to a fine and foamy lather. Since 5% of the oils were not saponified - meaning the alkali base (lye) combines with the fats or oils - the soap is creamy and while cleansing still gives enough moisture to the skin so that the skin does not feel dry and stripped of its protective layer of sebum. Watch out friends and family, you know what you are getting for the next occasion :-)

1 comments:

Natalie Stewart January 02, 2010 3:23 AM  

thanks to internet so many useful tips available toady on internet easily.

Post a Comment

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP